Bell tent: relaxing 2 or 3 night break for 4 people
Book a stay in the Bell Tent on our off-grid mushroom farm in rewilded Rutland countryside.
Totally off-grid, the Mushroom Farm campsite feels like a proper pioneering camp. Set on the edge of an 11-acre reserve, at the end of a little track from the farming village of Thistleton in rural Rutland.
It's old school camping but with a little bit of luxury. The Bell Tent is a spacious canvas tent with a comfortable double mattress (bedding and towels included).
Outside, there’s a campfire area, a cooking shelter, gas stove, kitchen utensils and crockery. An invigorating bucket shower, composting toilet and solar lights. As we are properly off grid, you will be provided with plenty of large water containers.
You will be given a number code for the gate and an info pack in your tent. We are available by phone and are only a 10-minute drive away if you have any problems.
This is not a manicured site so you’ll be sharing it with wildlife – frequent visitors include songbirds, red kites, kestrels, owls, bats, lizards, frogs and toads, snakes, rabbits and hares, muntjac deer, mice, foxes, dragonflies, butterflies, moths and beetles… Perfect for nature lovers.
The camp is set on a mushroom farm with the young trees and large areas left to rewild. This means flowering thistles and uneven ground so it may not be suitable for babies, very young children or people with health conditions.
The site is just a 15-minute drive to beautiful Rutland Water, home to breeding ospreys, cycle tracks and a watersports center. Isaac Newton's birthplace, National Trust run Woolsthorpe Manor is also nearby. At the end of an exciting day there's a pub just 30-minutes walk away, or relax by the fire at the campsite.
Local attractions and activities
- Rutland Water Nature Reserve (boating, swimming): 15 minutes drive
- National Trust - Woolsthorpe Manor (birthplace of Sir Issac Newton): 5 minutes
- Yew Tree Avenue at Clipsham: 15 minutes
- Wymondham Windmill: 15 minutes
- Golf: 20 minutes
- Stamford (Georgian town): 20 minutes
- Aqua Park Rutland: 20 minutes
- Belvoir Castle (shops and jousting): 20 minutes
- Burghley House (stately pile): 25 minutes
Coach and bus stations
- Bus Station — 10.0 miles
- Bus Station — 10.8 miles
- Town Hall — 11.5 miles
- Oakham Rail Station — 6.6 miles
- Melton Mowbray Rail Station — 9.9 miles
- Stamford Rail Station — 10.2 miles
Arrival / departure times
Arrive anytime after 3 pm
Depart by 11 am
- If you need to cancel or amend your booking, please give as much notice as possible so that someone else has the chance to book.
- We understand that things can change and we're still dealing with the coronavirus pandemic so if you need to change your booking please contact us as soon as possible.
- We are unable to offer you a refund if you cancel within one week of arrival date.
- The site is not liable for any refund in the event of force majeure.
- We are unable to offer refunds or discounts for inclement weather, late arrivals or early departures.
Full payment will be taken at the time of your booking.
If you wish to discuss a payment plan with us, please contact us directly at email@example.com and we'll see how we can help you.